Q: Car jerks shifting into 2nd & 3rd & slows down

My car jerks when I shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Also, the speed goes down, no matter how much gas I give it. The speed falls from 40-30 down to 5-10 mph. When I first start driving my car, everything is okay for about 15 minutes, but then after that time the problem with the shifting and the slower speed begins to happen. What do you think is causing these problems and what should I do?

A: Hello. I would start by scanning the comput...

Hello. I would start by scanning the computer for codes as it sounds like a sensor problem. If there are no codes present, then the sensors need to be checked with the scan tool. If all of them are reading correctly then I would suspect that the fuel pump may be failing so the fuel pressure must be checked. The issue that is occurring is from a loss of power so these are the most common issues. If you need to have this looked at, have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting issue and determine what needs to be done next.