Q: Rough idle when stopping or at complete stop.

My car has a rough idle and it feels like the whole front end of the car is vibrating. Especially in the steering wheel and through my seat. I had one mount replaced but it feels like it got worse. I had another mechanic check the rest of the mounts and they are fine according to him. I have had my car for almost 3 years and the vibrations are getting worse as time goes on. Bought used.

Shaking or vibration may be caused by many different things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. The other issue that may cause this type of shaking or vibration is a broken engine mount. Engine mounts are generally rubber mounted braces that hold the engine in place to the chassis of the car. When these break or become weak or faulty, this may cause the engine to vibrate heavily. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Rough idle when stopping or at complete stop.