Q: I just replaced my maf sensor now my idle is up to 2000 rpms and bouncing up and down

asked by on April 02, 2017

I was told my car needed a new maf sensor. We just replaced that and now my rpms are high and bouncing up and down on its own. Between 1000 and 2000. I put the old one back in to see if it would change the idle and no difference. I can't seem to figure out how to get my idle to go back to normal. Please help

Hi there. Typically when this situation occurs, it’s caused by a vacuum leak. It is very common to either intentionally or accidentally remove a vacuum line while replacing a mass air flow sensor. What I would recommend is to retrace all hoses or connections, including the air intake connection as this can also cause a high idle problem. If you don’t find any lines not connected correctly and still have the problem, it might be an ECU computer glitch that should be resolved by having a professional mobile mechanic complete a engine idle is high inspection.