Q: Speedometer has quit working.

The speedometer needle goes to 20 mph as soon as the ignition is on, and remains there when the car is underway, regardless of speed. The odometer has completely quit. Tachometer works, as do all other gauges and warning lights. Cruise control works. The "check engine light" is not on (though the bulb illuminates before starting, as it should). These symptoms occurred intermittently for a few weeks, but it seems to be permanent now. Any ideas? Thanks.

Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty transmission speed sensor. The transmission speed sensor relays output shaft speed on the transmission to the ECU which then translates this to the speedometer. When this sensor is not working or faulty, this may produce an inaccurate or erratic speedometer reading. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.