Q: Grinding sound in reverse or neutral from park

I had new starter installed, the car started making a grinding in reverse or neutral. Drive does not happen, but you have to shut it off or burn up starter. No noise prior or problems shifting. Had engine replaced.

Return the vehicle to the service facility; something could have been left loose, or maybe a faulty starter assembly was installed.

I have heard similar complaints with different outcomes. When the vehicle is cold, check the power steering fluid level. If it is below the cold fill level, add some fluid to correct the level and see if the sound comes back.

A power steering system low on fluid can make grinding noises. Also, if the power steering fluid was low, there is likely a leak somewhere in the system. The pressure line, the pump itself and the steering gear are common leak points.

3. Grinding sound in reverse or neutral from park