Q: Stalls on acceleration, must feather the gas pedal to increase rpm's to keep from stalling

The car is a 1955 olds V8 std. three speed. When taking off I must feather the gas pedal and raise rpm's higher than needed to keep car from stalling. Have put in new accelerator pump, new vacuum advance, all other is set to tune up spec. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks, John

It sounds like the ignition timing may be off a bit especially if you hear a pop noise when you do try to lean into the throttle too quickly. A timing light can be used to check the timing to see where it is exactly and then be advanced or retarded to get it just right. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and take a closer look at your stalling concern to offer a more personal diagnosis and estimate the proper repairs.

3. Stalls on acceleration, must feather the gas pedal to increase rpm's to keep from stalling