Q: My car will start, just not run.

I was driving on the road one day and stopped at a red light. After a minute or two I let go of the brake and suddenly, the car was stuck. It wouldn't go no matter what. I have no idea why, and I'd like to know because there are only 64,000 miles on this. What might be the problem?

Hi, thanks for writing in. I would start with testing your battery and alternator with a multi meter. Good batteries hold a charge of 12.6 volts or higher. If the battery is low, try to jump start it. If this starts your vehicle, test your alternator to ensure it is maintaining at least 14 volts. Alternators testing below 14 volts would likely be damaging to your battery. If jump starting didn’t work, listen closely when you turn the key. Do you hear a single click? If so, then it is probably your starter. A quick diagnostic trick for your starter is to use a metal object, like a small hammer, and knock on your starter as someone turns the key. Most of the time, this will start your vehicle. If you need any assistance, enlist in a qualified professional. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.