Q: Oil doesn't show on the dipstick until second pull.

asked by on December 23, 2016

I pull the dipstick out for the oil and nothing shows the first time. I put it back and pull out for a second time and it shows full.

Hi there. What could be happening is the dipstick is binding up on the oil pan in the dipstick tube. Check the dipstick tube and make sure that it is not bent or have a kink in it. Also, when checking the oil, make sure that the dipstick is going all the way down into the engine oil pan and stopping on the lock to the dipstick. Replace the dipstick tubing if its bent or damaged. If you need further assistance with your dipstick not registering oil for the first time and then again it register good, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.