Q: Experiencing intermittent transmission issues

So the transmission issues started when going uphill over 40mph, causing the car to go into "safemode" which locks it into 4th. Restarting the car puts it back into first. Then the transmission became slow to shift from 1-2 and 2-3 automatically, but I can slide it over to manual and forceshift just fine. SES light on. Took it in for diagnostics and was told the problem is internal (as in, they don't know) , and it needs a new $6k tranny. Decided to drive her til she's done. Found Bar's Leak AT repair, put it in and the problems stopped, light went off on its own. Fluid was low when I added the Bar's Leak, now a couple weeks later fluid is low again and the problems are coming back, light is back on. Cannot find a leak anywhere, not getting into oil or coolant. Where is the fluid going and do I just keep adding to keep the transmission going as long as I can? Not looking to dump a bunch of money into her, just need the car to run for a few more months.

A: If your vehicle is losing transmission fl...

If your vehicle is losing transmission fluid and there is no noticeable leaks then it may be possible that the transmission is burning the fluid.

I would check the fluid for any signs that the transmission may be burning the fluid, any hints of a burning smell or excessively dark fluid.

If that is the case, and you wish to continue driving the vehicle, you will have to continue adding fluid as you drive. If this is indeed the case, also keep in mind that the issue will likely worsen until the transmission eventually fails.

If you decide to get it fixed, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home or office to pinpoint the transmission leak firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.