Q: Rear end squeaking noise

asked by on August 17, 2016

There is a squeaking noise coming from the rear end of my truck. I was wondering if the worn axle bearings could be making it. What do you think? If not, what might be worn out on my vehicle?

Squealing noise from brakes Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. It is possible that the axle bearings are causing the squeaking noise that you hear, but axle bearings usually make a roaring or humming noise. Another possibility is that the rear brakes are low and causing a squeaking noise while driving. There also could be a problem with the rear differential itself. The gears in the differential could be rubbing metal to metal, or it is possible that a part of the differential has come apart and is causing a noise. I would suggest that you have the rear brakes and differential inspected by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to pinpoint why your car is making the squeaking noise.