Q: Power steering problems.

The power steering on my car is stiff. It might need cleaning.

A: While steering wheel fluid cleaning is comm...

While steering wheel fluid cleaning is common in other vehicles, your Toyota Yaris is instead equipped with what is known as electronic assist steering. This means there is no fluid to flush or clean. Instead of looking at the steering itself, I would start with checking your tire pressure. If it is low, go ahead and set the tire pressure to 32psi and see if this helps with your steering.

Now because the steering system in your vehicle is electric, the battery may also be suspect. Verifying if you have a bad battery can lead you in the right direction. Another two common issues also include the rack and pinion (the device that moves the wheels when you turn the steering wheel) failing or the electric assist power steering motor is bad. Having a certified mechanic look over your steering system will help you determine why your power steering feels stiff and they can help provide you with the information you need to get your Yaris driving like new again.