Q: My transmission will not downshift at a stop, upshift from a stop, or go in reverse.

asked by on December 21, 2016

The car starts fine, put it into reverse and it slowly moves back until a small jerk and moves back as normal. Then stop, put in drive, car sits at idle and will not move. Push the gas and the transmission stutters then jerks violently into 1st gear. When shifting to second gear, car goes into neutral and the RPMs shoot up, then shifts into 2nd. The car then drives fine. Slowing down to 15 MPH then speeding up with no issues or jerking. Shifts through 2,3,4, and OD with no issues.

Come to a stop sign and complete stop, the car goes will not move until gas is pressed to the floor and car jerks into 1st, then neutral with high RPM, then jerks into 2nd then good until next stop.

I have replaced the solenoids, 1-2 3-4, 2-3, Pressure control, and PMW. The transmission is a 4T65E.

For some reason I did not change the speed sensors. Could this be the issue or something else?

Hi there. Most transmissions have shifting issues with the fluid being dirty. First replace the transmission oil filter and do a transmission oil flush. If the fluid is black, do not attempt to change the fluid as it will make the transmission no longer work. Then drive the vehicle and see if the transmission will act up again. If it does, then either the transmission control system (valve body - brain of the transmission) has a mass cross leak or the transmission is slipping and needs rebuilt or replaced. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission.