Q: 2005 Saturn Ion has a hard time starting, indles roughly and then dies.

asked by on March 16, 2017

Starting two weeks ago my 2005 saturn ion began making a weird ticking noise while running. At first it was only while idling, it didn't increase when I gave it gas or while driving. A few days later it had now begun doing the same thing when giving it gas and the noise had grown louder. It appeared to get worse each time I drove it. About a week later I drove it again and then the very next day I cranked it, it idled extremely rough, was making the same noise and then promptly shut off and would not crank again. We replaced the ignition switch that day just in case.

Today I turned the ignition to run, pressed the gas pedal down and proceeded to start the car. After it made a racket for a while it did finally start, extremely rough and continued to run.only we discovered there was no oil. However, we just changed the oil about a month ago, for that I suspect a leak. Won't let me add the rest of description????

Hi there. The ticking noise in this case most likely was coming from the cylinder heads (or the top of the engine) and the components inside that were not receiving enough lubricant (oil) as the engine runs. Most of the time, the components making the noise are valve lifters or rocker arms that are clicking against bare metal. However, the rough idle may not have been caused by the low oil level. It’s possible that you have multiple problems with the Saturn, but the only way to know for sure is to have a professional mechanic come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection and oil fluid leak inspection to determine where the oil leak is coming from and whether it can be repaired easily.