Q: What is reverse lockout on the manual transmission?

What is reverse lockout on the manual transmission?

A: Manual transmissions have come a long way i...

Manual transmissions have come a long way in recent years and now offer a number of features designed for both convenience and safety. The reverse lockout feature on your car’s transmission is a perfect example. Essentially, this is a setup that makes it impossible to shift into reverse if the car is moving forward at more than a specific speed. However, if you can’t shift into reverse while you’re parked, that’s not the lockout feature – there’s something else going on. Here’s how to shift correctly:

1. Push the clutch pedal to the floor

2. Move the gearshift all the way left

3. Move the gearshift back to the right and then down into reverse

If that doesn’t work, try this:

1. Put the parking brake on

2. Turn the engine off and turn the key to the accessory or lock position

3. Push the clutch pedal to the floor

4. Shift into reverse

5. With your foot still on the clutch pedal, crank the engine