Q: Coolant leak visible from driver side of engine.

asked by on November 23, 2016

Hi Brikk, I have coolant leaking on my Volvo D5 engine. First, the leak was hard to notice, after pressure testing, I could notice an external leak under the car (left side, passenger side, at wheel level bit towards the back of the engine). Coolant on the floor is clean/not mixed. Leak is slow (doesn't go under MIN level), no white exhaust smoke, hoses are soft. Can it be a head gasket failure if the leak is external? Or EGR Vale? Or you'd simply say a hose/connection broken? Thank you

Hi there. The leak that you are seeing could be from a coolant hose that is either loose or split. Also the coolant leak could be coming from a core plug (freeze plug). The best way to track a leak is to put coolant dye into the radiator, drive the vehicle for a couple of miles, and then pressure test the system. Use a black light and yellow glasses to see a neon glow. This will help you locate your leak. If you need further assistance with locating a coolant leak, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.