Q: Transmission keeps going out - 2007 GMC Yukon XL 1500

At the end of July 2016 my transmission went out while driving on a short day trip. My husband had driven all morning without issues and on the way home while trying to accelerate my rpms would soar and my speed wouldn't increase. My husband was able to limp it home and when we took it to our repair shop they told us our transmission was shot so we replaced it. 37 days after getting it back it went out again. This time it was replaced by a GM certified dealer under warranty as the original replacement part was from GM. Last week the transmission went out again. Exactly 37 days from when I received it. Mileage doesn't seem to be the factor because we had significantly more miles between the first 2 repairs then the last 2. Every time it goes out its the same. It might hesitate going up a hill once or twice (we live in the mountains so there are always hills) and then all the sudden you have nothing. It seems to not shift out of 3rd gear. Sometimes shifts hard from 2nd to 3rd.

Hello. It sounds like you do not have a transmission problem at all. I have seen this same vehicle have electrical issues which will cause the vehicle to stop shifting correctly. If the transmission continues to go out, I would have hoped that the people that replaced it checked the inside of the transmission to see if it actually came apart.

Most of the time, this is caused by an issue with the control module. I have had a lot of issues with the connections at the computer becoming corroded and having loose connections. I have also had an ignition switch cause this. This can be very hard to diagnose as the problem seems to suddenly occur. If it failed again, I would need to check it to see if the transmission actually failed. It sounds like you need to take it back to the same place and make sure that they fully check out the electrical system.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if electrical problems are the source of the transmission issues you are having.