Q: The harmonic balance or went out of round and the Woodruff key tore up and they engine needs replaced

asked by on November 28, 2016

The harmonic balance or went out of round and the Woodruff key tore up and they engine needs replaced as so the mechanic says he says the field fix for the woodruff key is not possible the harmonic balance or had been replaced before the car is a 1.8 L double overhead cam Mazda MX five. I wonder if buying a Engine From Japan with 50,000 miles on it would be a better alternative than buying American engine with 80,000 miles on having it installed he also says I need to replace all the seals and belts this whole deal will cost me about 2000 and I want to put worth it or simply but another or what is the real cost

Hello. This is a common issue on this engine. The balancer bolt tends to come loose and causes this failure to occur. If I were choosing what engine to go with I would go with the one from Japan. Those tend to be the best because of their low mileage. I would also say it is best to replace the engine as it is cheaper then replacing the vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr