Q: Is a front cross member a part of my car's subframe?

My car has had a recall on it for corrosion to the front cross member. Last year, according to the mechanic's invoice, I had my car's sub-frame replaced. Is the cross-member the same thing as my car's sub frame? Is it one part of the sub frame? Neither? Any help would be appreciated. I do not know cars too well.

Your vehicle is constructed as a "unibody". Unibodies in general will have bolt on members, typically in the front and rear, that are referred to as cross-members or subframes. A sub frame structurally includes "cross-members" but a cross member itself is not usually a sub-frame. That is, a sub-frame is typically a larger piece and one that will often be a cradle for the engine as well as provide attachment points for the suspension. In practical terms, if the part that was installed on your vehicle is attached to the control arms on your vehicle that IS the part (the cross member) that is the target of the Mitsubishi recall. In your circumstance, the mechanic appears to have used the terms cross member and sub-frame interchangeably because that cross member in the front of your vehicle, to which the control arms are bolted, is the only major bolt on frame component in the front of your vehicle.

Assuming your vehicle model and year are covered, the only vehicles eligible for the free repair (or reimbursement) are ones that were originally sold in, OR ever registered in, the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. If you are covered in one of those states, there were refund instructions in the notification letter to get reimbursed if you already had the repairs performed at your expense (you appear to have had the repairs performed). If you have questions, please contact Mitsubishi at Tel: 888-648-7820 and ask about recall number SR-16-003. Alternatively, if you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you. Please keep YourMechanic in mind for future repairs, maintenance and advice.

3. Is a front cross member a part of my car's subframe?