Q: Advice on driving a car that has a hood without insulation

I've purchased a used hood from a junk yard. I've noticed it's missing insulation. Is it okay to drive like that?

Sure. The insulation only serves two purposes. One is for sound insulation, so that it is quieter in the car and so there is not much engine noise. The other is heat insulation, to keep the heat from getting to the paint under hood. So the paint under the hood may crack and look poorly after time, but it isn’t going to do any mechanical damage to anything. It’s just going to look a little cracked. When I was a kid, they didn’t have insulation under hood and no one cared about that. It doesn’t hurt the car at all.