Q: How much to replace an automatic transmission to a manual

I have a bmw automatic transmission and it grinds on 1st and 2nd gear and after it reaches speed its fine. but i wanted to get a new transmission so i dont have to deal with it always stalling, but i always wanted a manual car so i was wondering since im replacing the transmission anyways would converting the car from automatic to manual be too much money and a pain?

The PCM and TCM that you presently have are incompatible with a manual transmission. The PCM hardware and some engine controls, particularly relating to idle speed and electronic "dashpot", would be different too. The only way you could reliably do such a swap is if you changed out the vehicle’s electrical system, include the wiring harness to the transmission and engine, and even that wouldn’t be a guarantee of success if your vehicle also has a body control module (i.e., that would have to be changed out as well). Your only practical option is to have the existing transmission re-built or install a re-manufactured one. Even going that route, you have to be extremely careful and vigilant that you get an EXACT replacement, in every respect, because even minor year to year differences in electronic controls could render the unit unusable. In some locales, certified Mechanics from YourMechanic will perform engine and transmission replacements, so please inquire if you simply want to repair what you have. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. How much to replace an automatic transmission to a manual