Q: Does my ECM / PCM have to be reprogram after replacing with new one?

asked by on December 18, 2016

On dashboard Hot Oil flashing comes on only when driving thru traffic jams and lots of red lights usually after driving over an hour then I don't see the Hot Oil sign till I turn engine off and back on again right after check engine light appears so I don't drive anywhere for like over an hour An half then the hot oil words go off as well as the check engine light I took it n to a transmission service and they replace the ecm /PCM and my car is still doing the sane thing, the mechanic told me the PCM for my car didn't need to b program at all , but I'm thinking it did cause a day after being service my car is doing the exact same thing and codes are reading ecm/ PCM so please help me out , whatever is going on the hot oil pops up.first then the engine after and once it cools they both disappear , so I was wondering if my ecm/PCM for my car has to b reprogram r this one comes program already?

Hi there. If you were to get an ECM (engine control module) from the dealership, the dealership will flash (program) the ECM to the VIN number to your vehicle and all of the specs. However, if you were to purchase an aftermarket ECM, you also will need to have it flashed to match your VIN number to your vehicle and all of the specs. If you need further assistance with replacing the ECM, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.