Q: I have an 05 Liberty CRD. It is stalling out at idle or when pulling up to a red light. This very random.

asked by on September 28, 2016

05 Liberty CRD. It stalls out at idle or when pulling up to a red light. Very random. May happen 10 times one day, and none the next. Auto parts stores put their code readers on the vehicle and get no codes even though engine light is on.

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2005 Jeep Liberty. This is typically a common symptom of a failing idle air control valve, which is a unit that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with the fuel at idle speeds just prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not functioning correctly, this will normally cause stalling and rough idling. However, it would normally also cause a Check Engine Light to come on as well. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your car’s stalling problem and replace the idle air control valve if necessary.