Q: Mass air flow issues

I had a reading of a bad mass air flow sensor. I had it replaced and the engine light came back on and had another computer reading on it and it came back as a mass airflow sensor problem. What else could it be

A: Try taking the mass air flow sensor out and...

Try taking the mass air flow sensor out and cleaning it as these can often times trigger a code simply as a result of just being dirty. By far the most common MAF failure is caused by accumulation of dirt on the hot wire.

This is a wire on the end of the sensor that heats up as the ignition is turned off to burn off excess particles and dirt. Even though the sensor is protected by the air filter (it’s often mounted inside the air filter housing), oil mist or fine dust that contacts the hot wire tends to bake onto the wire.

Also, check your air filter to be sure that it is not simply filtering dirt to the mass air flow sensor as mentioned above.

If the problem persists, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and thoroughly diagnose the Check Engine Light firsthand for an accurate repair.