Q: Won't shift from first into second gear if I'm in D but it works if I put the gear selector in 2 position

asked by on December 17, 2017

Was driving down the freeway one day and I stepped on the gas pretty good after traffic let up. As the speedometer hit 70mph my rpm shot up and I wasn't going any faster. I pull over and try getting back on the road again. Now it starts off fine while in D but right when it's about to shift to 2nd the rpm shoot high and it never shifts. Also if I put my gear selector in 2 then my truck works. Lastly my gear selector won't let me put it into the 1 position. Idk if all this is related. As of now I still have 1st gear and Reverse. But my gear selector physically won't let me shift it into the 1 position but it does let me put it into 2

You have the 4L60-E transmission. There are some common causes of failure to shift out of first on this transmission, such as a failed vehicle speed sensor, however, the fact that you cannot physically engage "low" (1st gear) suggests either a mis-positioned shift cable or something broken in the valve body. Repair of either is actually not a big deal. Were the valve body faulty, it is replaceable with the transmission in situ. To obtain a diagnostic and get the issue pinpointed, the recommended service is a failure to shift diagnostic. Once that diagnostic is complete, the mechanic will explain the repair strategy to you in detail and estimate the cost. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.