Car making grinding noise for 2 seconds after starting 20...

Q: Car making grinding noise for 2 seconds after starting

asked by on February 02, 2018

Yesterday, after pushing the button to start my car, it would start normally then make a slight grinding(?) Noise for only 2-4 seconds. If I turned it off and started it back up after 10 minutes or less, it wouldn't do it. Longer and it would. It made the noise about 8 times yesterday. After my husband got home, he tried to start it a few times and it wouldn't make the noise. It hasn't made the noise again today either. Although, maybe through paranoia, I thought I heard a weird grinding sound right before the engine started this time. I tried to have the starter tested at a local chain store and because my battery is not accessible without taking the wheel off, they couldn't get an accurate read. Confused as to what I should do.

It sounds like you may have a starter that is allowing the starter gear to hang onto the flywheel for a bit too long when starting the vehicle. When you turn the key, there is a small gear that comes out of the starter that engages the flywheel and then turns the motor over until the motor ignites. When you let off the key, this gear is designed to retract back into the starter as it is done doing its job turning the flywheel. In some cases, this gear does not retract all the way back in or may hang on to the flywheel for a bit too long causing the grinding sound you are referring to. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.