Q: I put coolant in my reservoir bottle it never filled up

asked by on October 09, 2016

I put a whole gallon of freeze in the reservoir bottle and it was still empty

Hi, thanks for writing in. The reservoir coolant goes directly into the engine and radiator. The fact that you added a gallon means the system is leaking somewhere. The coolant does not get this low without leaking out, usually through the cylinders due to a bad head gasket. Have the system tested to locate the problem. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this leak for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.