Turning off while driving 1999 v6-4.0l explorer ford stal...

Q: Turning off while driving

asked by on February 04, 2016

My vehicle is turning off while I am driving.

Hello. This is a common problem on your vehicle. If the engine turns right off then it can be a crank position sensor or is may be a failure in the inertia shut off switch. If the engine is turning off only at idle then most of the time it is caused by a failing idle control valve or a dirty throttle body. A mechanic would start an inspection by driving the vehicle to see when it is stalling. From there it would be determined if they need to clean the throttle body or install a computer scan tool to monitor the sensors to see which one stops reading when the problem occurs. I’d recommend having a professional mechanic diagnose your stalling issue to determine exactly what repairs you will need.