Q: Is Chevy Equinox 2006 worth replacing oil pan gasket? 198,000 miles

asked by on December 25, 2016

Today I was driving and smoke came from under hood. Only drove about 2 miles after I noticed smoke. Stopped car, raised hood and oil definitely had blown on hot engine. Also oil leaked on ground under car....had never done that before. Any advice, recommendations? Car has always been maintained with one owner and oil changes every 3000 miles

Oil level is low Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Replacing the oil pan gasket is part of an engines life and part of a vehicle’s maintenance. Every vehicle will eventually need to have the oil pan gasket replaced. Before you replace the oil pan gasket, look around the engine to see where the oil could have came from. If the oil is sprayed out more than just around the oil pan, then look for signs of leakage around the front crankshaft seal, the timing cover seal, the oil filter, the engine cooler lines, and the valve covers. These areas can contribute to a engine oil leak and cause a large mess. If you need further assistance with determining where the engine oil is leaking from, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.