Q: Steering wheel locked while going around curve

asked by on August 01, 2016

While driving 15-20 mph down a long gravel driveway, I had to go around a slightly left curve. Then the road straightened out. The steering wheel locked and I couldn’t move it to the left and could not get out of the curve. The car continued heading right, no matter how hard I tried to pull on it to go left. It just wouldn’t budge. I continued to go right, off the driveway, and into some trees. At that point, the steering wheel was still locked. I turned the car off and back on and then it released so that I was able to back out from the trees. Before I take it to the repair shop, what caused this and what will fix it?

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

I would suspect that the steering is electronic and something was not making contact when you were going over the bumps and caused the steering to lock. It could also be a programming issue or a steering sensor issue. Have a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your steering problem and let you know what should be done.