Q: Car won't start after gas is filled up

I drove the car the other day and it ran out of gas. I went to the gas station and filled in the gas tank, but the car wouldn't start. The engine makes the noise as if it's going to start but there is no startup. What could be the problem?

Fuel pressure needs to be checked on your 1996 Lexus SC300. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, so running out of fuel can cause the fuel pump to heat up and can become less effective or non-operational. This can easily be determined by a fuel pressure reading. If the problem persists and you need help having this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can inspect the starting issue in person and make the needed repairs to restore engine operation.