Q: I hear a squeak (more like a constant chirp) is when the steering wheel is cranked all the way in either direction 2005 Hyundai Elantra

asked by on April 21, 2017

Squealing/chirping noise when steering wheel is turned fully to lock in either direction. No squealing present while turning the wheel. All belts have been replaced 2 weeks ago and power steering fluid was replaced as well. Any idea what the problem could be? There are no visible leaks or odd smells.

Hello. This is common because when the wheel is turned all of the way in one direction it puts the most pressure on the power steering pump. If the belt is good and tight then the pump is not bypassing correctly and needs to be replaced. If you want to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to diagnose why it is making noise from the belt.