Q: Hello, my supplemental restraint system light came on. What does that mean?

With the supplemental restraint system light on is there something that I need to replace?

Hello. The supplement restraint system, SRS for short, is the vehicle’s airbag system. Most vehicles come equipped with an SRS airbag system that will deploy to protect the passengers in the event of a collision. The SRS system is computer controlled, using a series of sensors and modules, and will set off the warning light if it is detected that there is an issue within the system. A few common causes that can cause this warning lamp to illuminate are faulty airbag sensors, airbag units, or a faulty SRS module. In most cases where the SRS light comes on the vehicle will still drive and operate fine, however the airbag system will be disabled. A compatible scan tool can be used to retrieve the trouble codes, which will likely shed some light on what the issue is. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what the cause of the illuminated warning light may be.

3. Hello, my supplemental restraint system light came on. What does that mean?