Q: Do i need a need a new gas cap/do i need an allignment?

Hi! The check engine light recently came on in my car (about 2 months ago) and it kept coming on and going off, and i got advice that it might be my gas cap is broken, so i got a new fuel cap at walmart and my car has been fine up until now. recently my check engine light came back on and the my gas has been going down right away after i fill up the tank. Is this a sign that i need a new gas cap again, maybe better quality this time?

Also another question. I hit the median the other night with my front left tire while i was making a left turn, it was pitch black and i couldnt see a thing. I hit it quite hard i was going about 10-15 mph probably, i thought i dented the side of my car but i pulled over and it looked just fine. Then i started driving and noticing that my car kept wanting to go to the left, and doesnt go straight like its supposed to. Does this mean i need to get an allignment on my front left tire? What could be causing this pull?

Thank you so much! Lexi

Your question related to the gas cap suggests that you may have the incorrect gas cap installed on your car (if the original problem was in fact the gas cap). Unlike most vehicles in earlier years, these are generally vehicle specific in later model-year cars. The fuel cap is a critical component in a very complex evaporative emissions system. Fuel systems produce fumes, as vapor. When we drive our cars, the vapors collect in the fuel tank. If we do not remove and destroy these fumes, they could enter the passenger compartment or the atmosphere. To prevent this, an evaporative emissions system contains, removes and disposes of the vapors. When the fuel cap is not on tight or sealed correctly, the evaporative emissions system detects this and will cause the check engine light to come on. A YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to perform a gas cap replacement on your vehicle and confirm if there are any other issues related to this symptom.

As to your question related to hitting the median, this may very well have caused either damage to suspension components or potentially caused the alignment to become compromised. When this happens, your car will often times wander a bit or pull noticeably to one side or the other as you describe. A YourMechanic certified technician can come to your location to perform a Car pulls in one direction Inspection on your vehicle to help you diagnose this issue and suggest any required repairs.

3. Do i need a need a new gas cap/do i need an allignment?