Q: How do I stop the transmission from leaking brake fluid in a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer

asked by on December 31, 2016

My car is leaking brake fluid due to a slave master cylinder failure. I don't have the funds to repair the car but would still like to drive it and was wondering if there was a way to keep the fluid from leaking out. The car shifts fine as long as the brake fluid reservoir is full but once it drains to 3/4 full the transmission will stop shifting.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Replacement $135.37 - $414.28 Get a Quote

Hi there. First off, the transmission and brake system are separate and utilize different oils. If you’re leaking oil from the slave master cylinder (which is a clutch component), it’s transmission fluid that might be leaking. If you’ve been told that this has been damaged, there really isn’t a way to stop the leak without fixing the damaged component. You might want to have a mechanic replace your clutch slave cylinder before it completely breaks.

Hello - the car will continue to leak fluid, and have shifting problems with accompanying damage to the transmission, until the clutch slave cylinder is replaced. That worn component is the source of this problem. Simply adding more and more fluid to the clutch hydraulics is a temporary measure - until the day when the slave cylinder fails completely, and the car is not longer driveable at all. I would recommend a clutch slave cylinder replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and repair this problem.