Q: Cleaning two-stroke and four-stroke engines

asked by on May 16, 2016

Please explain 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine in reference to fuel cleaners in your car.

2-stroke engines don’t have an oil sump. There is no actual oil in the engine to lubricate it. So you have to mix oil with gasoline. Usually, it is in a 40:1 ratio, with 40 parts gasoline and one part oil. Then when the gasoline gets inside of the car, it’s oily. So it gets on the metal parts and lubricates them. So, the cleaner made for 2-stroke engine has to be a very strong cleaner that works with burning, when the engine oil and gasolines mix.

A 4-stroke engine, on the other hand, has the oil is in a sump and is pumped through the engine to lubricate it. So the gasoline is pure gasoline and there is no oil mixed with it. So, the oil and the gas are not supposed to mix in the engine like that. So they need different kind of cleaner.