Q: Engine rattle 2001 Hyundai SantaFe

Inconsistent engine rattle on startup for maybe 10sec no smell/smoke runs smooth

Hi - engine rattle on startup is a common problem with this engine. The hydraulic valve lifters, actuated by engine oil pressure, drain down overnight, and it requires a few seconds for the oil pump to fully fill the "oil cushion" cavities inside each lifter. Once this occurs, the engine goes back to quiet operation. While annoying, it is nothing to worry about, unless the noise is growing louder rapidly. Make sure the engines oil level is correct - check every week or so, just to be sure this isn’t a low oil level issue. If you need further diagnosis for this noise for peace of mind, I would recommend an engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Engine rattle 2001 Hyundai SantaFe