Q: My car shows trouble codes P0133 and P0420

hello. I had my car serviced about 2 months ago the car's ob was throwing off a p133, p420 and p171.. I took it to the shop, the oxgen sensor was replaced. .I Drove the car for a couple of days and the ob was throwing off just p420, I was told that if i add catalytic converter cleaner to the fuel tank its going to clean the cataltic converter..so i bought the cleaner but a couple days later still get p420. Am thinking ok i might need a new catallytic converter, but since it's expensive i wait until a month later to try to have it replaced..before i have it replaced i check the ob with handheld scanner now am getting a p133 and p420. I should not be getting a p133 since i had the oxgen sensor replaced about a month ago. when i take the car back to the mechanic that replaced the oxgen sensor he tells me maybe i should replaced the catalytic converter first, that the p133 code might go away. i think he is jsut giving me the run-around..can u tell me what to do?? thanks

Hi there:

It appears as if you’ve got a lot of miscommunication going on with your mechanic. Here are a few basics. First, anytime an error code is triggered, such as the P0133 OBD-II code the issue needs to be fixed and then the error codes need to be cleared with a professional digital diagnostic tool - not the basic hand held scanner being used. So, before you take it back to this mechanic to get more of a run around (which I agree you’re getting) contact a professional mechanic to complete a simple Check Engine Light inspection. This will allow them to pull all existing error codes, clear those codes and retest the system to determine what is wrong with your Corolla.

3. My car shows trouble codes P0133 and P0420