Q: Small rock cracks windshield while driving on the interstate

The first crack in my windshield happened 2 months ago. A small rock caused the crack while I was driving on the freeway. With previous cars that I’ve owned, I would have small rocks hit the windshield and not cause cracks, especially when the car is nearly new. I have researched and learned that Mazda might be cutting corners and using a thinner glass for the windshields. This is hurting us, their customers. I have read that this is a common problem among my make/model. Is there anyway to have a windshield installed on my car that is not manufactured by Mazda?

A: Hi! Yes it’s very possible to have an after...

Hi! Yes it’s very possible to have an aftermarket windshield installed in your car, though you should make sure to verify with the glass installer that it is still a quality windshield. Often times aftermarket parts can be very high quality, but some brands also significantly reduce the quality. Just be wary if the price seems to good to be true. Use a high rated, reputable glass installer that can provide you more information about your windshield options and which might be best for you.