Q: Car stutters and occasionally dies. Tripping po171 code running lean.

Does the GM 2.2 ecotec have an MAF sensor? If not what should i look at to see why car is getting code po171 running lean?

Your engine does have a MAF sensor, follow the tube that comes from the air filter housing to the throttle body. You should see a connector with 5 wires and that should be the MAF sensor.

The most common cause for the P0171 code is a vacuum leak. Check the tube from the air filter to the throttle body carefully for any crack that would let air in. If any air gets in through that tube it will not be measured by the MAF sensor and will throw up the P0171 code.

Also check the vacuum lines that attach to the intake manifold. If any are disconnected or broken they will need to be repaired as they will cause the same problem as a tear in the air duct. It is also possible that the intake manifold gaskets are leaking. They are just rubber o-rings. Over time they get brittle and will not seal anymore and will need to be replaced.

If none of these problems solve your issue you could be looking at a bad MAF sensor or a oxygen sensor that is failing. If you need more assistance with this, I would set up an appointment with one of the mechanics at YourMechanic. They can come to your home or office and diagnose and repair your stalling issue.

3. Car stutters and occasionally dies. Tripping po171 code running lean.