Q: All kinds of problems with the electronics

asked by on November 07, 2015

The electronics recently started going kinda crazy in my 2011 Subaru Outback. It started off with the Check Engine light popping up every few times I started it up. Got that checked out but no one could pinpoint any problem other than random electrical malfunction. Not what I wanted at 50,000 miles! Since then it has gotten bad and right now the car will not even start. Where do I even begin to fix this?

This problem could be related to the immobilizer function of the alarm system, or could be related to the engine or vehicle ground circuits. If the Check Engine Light is illuminated, a local mechanic with an advanced scan tool (like those with YourMechanic) can scan the anti-theft system for codes and pinpoint the problem. Problems like this can be tricky to diagnose as an immobilizer failure can masquerade as a fuel delivery problem, starter issue, or battery problem. Additionally, there is a ground wire on the left rear cylinder block area that could be loose.