Q: Bad gas mileage on the highway

Hi. My car has 160,000 miles on it and bad gas mileage. As I've been told, this vehicle should get 20 miles per gallon on the highway. Mine was getting 16 so I had the plugs replaced, thinking that would improve the gas mileage. But it didn't and now I get 12 mpg on the highway. How can I imporve the gas mileage? Do you have any advice? Thanks.

There are many things that can cause the fuel mileage to go down or be lower than what others are getting. The most important thing is to not use performance parts like filters or sensors. These only increase the power and use more gas. Also, put the tires to their most optimal pressure settings. Make sure all tune-up parts are new like the plugs, filters, wires, and belts. Then practice good driving habits like coasting longer before stoping, accelerating slower, and braking slower. Not speeding will also save fuel. Do not use A/C unless it is needed. All these things will help. Finally, you can have the computer scanned for any pre-existing problems that may affect fuel mileage.