Q: My 2014 dodge avenger is beginning to overheat. why?

asked by on December 02, 2017

My 2014 dodge avenger is beginning to overheat. I don't see any leaks and I also made sure that there is plenty of coolant in it. The fan comes at the right time but does little or no help to reduce the temp. Although I can reduce the temp just by turning the heater on and it seems to back to normal for a short while after turning off the heater. looking at the hose that comes from the coolant box, I didn't see any damage and they're all still connected. I also didn't see any leaks at the connection spots.I dont know why it would be starting to over heat.

Thermostat Replacement $141.93 - $702.78 Get a Quote
Radiator Replacement $338.55 - $1331.58 Get a Quote

Overheating can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. You may also have a water pump that is beginning to fail. Water pumps often times will begin to produce a bit of a whining sound when they are starting to fail. A common problem also associated with this is the water pump may begin to leak around the water pump shaft due to the seal being damaged. In addition to leaking around the pump, you may have a leak elsewhere in the cooling system coming from one of the hoses going to or from the radiator. Lastly, you may have a failing cylinder head gasket allowing coolant to leak from the water passages into the cylinders resulting in the coolant being burnt in the combustion chamber with the fuel. If this is the case, you may also notice a bit of white smoke coming from your exhaust which is a product of the coolant being turned into a steam like vapor. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system as there are a variety of tests to perform to arrive at the correct diagnosis.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr