Q: The car 166,000 miles on it, but still runs like a top...

My Sable, 2002, was running like a top until weeks after I gave it to my son, that the transmission went out....When trying to engage it any gear, drive or reverse, the car does nothing....could it be an electrical problem, or could they have hit something to test something loose underneath?

Hello, thanks for writing in. the torque converter is the likely failure here. The torque converter drives the pressure pump for the transmission (which provides the hydraulic pressure for gear engagement, shifting, etc.). The torque converter splines are notoriously weak on this model, and this is a common failure mode. Replacement of the torque converter (with an updated torque converter) will solve this problem. For this specific issue I’d recommend consulting a reputable transmission shop in your area for repair. If you’d like a second opinion however, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you and diagnose and inspect your car firsthand. Thanks for thinking of YourMechanic!