Q: Coolant evaporating very quickly - 2001 Toyota Camry

My car overheated for the 2nd time in 3 months. The first time the reserve was empty and my radiator cap was old and the rubber piece inside came off. I replaced it. Filled up the empty reserve and radiator. So far so good. Untill 4 days ago it overheated. I immediately stopped driving. Again the reserve and radiator was empty. I refilled them. I also noticed a rotten egg smell coming from the vents while the air conditioner was on. The smell only happened twice after the second over heating. Now I have to u keep checking because after 2 days the radiator was full but the reserve was empty again. Whats wrong ?

Hello. If the coolant continues to go low, then there is a problem with the vehicle. It can be an external leak or the engine may have an internal failure which is causing the coolant to burn off. Since you are having this smell, that tells me that it may be the engine itself. I will usually fill the coolant up and do a pressure test of the system.

This will tell me if there is an external leak as the coolant will be forced from that area. If none are found, then I do a block test. This tells me if there is a problem within the engine. If it comes back positive, then the cylinder head will need to be removed and the engine inspected.

If you want to have this overheating issue checked out, consider having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose why the car is overheating.