Q: Transmission falling out of gear, hesitates to shift.

A couple weeks ago my Escort started having this problem. The car had lack of power, it would hesitate shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Once it shifted to second gear (at about 30 mph) it would shift to 3rd gear in about 3 seconds, then it would throw itself into neutral and eventually start back in 1st gear. I replaced the tps and it fixed the problem for about 2 days and then it started back up. I got another tps just incase I got a faulty one and it didnt fix the problem. Transmission fluid is clean and filled to where it needs to be. I hooked an obd 1 scanner to it and it wouldnt read my car. I need help figuring out where to start and what could be causing this problem. Thanks.

Hi. There is a definite problem with your transmission. Its sounds like the valve body or the shift solenoids are bad and the clutches of the transmission are worn out. The fuse for the dtc connector could be blown and thats why the scan tool will not read the codes in the computer. I suggest you have the fuses checked and your transmission diagnosis by a highly qualified technician. YourMechanic would be pleased to complete this repair for you.