Q: What happens if i replace the catalytic with a thrush muffler and put a DC sports exhaust about 2 feet away from the thrush.

What happens if i replace the catalytic with a thrush muffler and put a DC sports exhaust about 2 feet away from the thrush. Will this sound bad? Will it make a difference on the HP and Gas mpg. Thxs

A: Removal of the catalytic converter on a car...

Removal of the catalytic converter on a car that will be operated on the street is very illegal, and can get you a huge fine from the EPA. Also, since most modern vehicles are designed to run with some system back pressure, you may actually notice a decrease in performance, due to the way exhaust flows out of the manifold and through the system.

The vehicle will certainly be louder, and may or may not sound better, depending on who's listening. Generally small displacement four cylinder engines with an almost completely free flowing exhaust are a love it or hate it sound.

However, I stress again that this is illegal to do, unless you plan to operate the vehicle off public roads only, such as on a race track or for off road use. If you want to increase the performance, it's best to do some research and decide which exhaust system and high performance catalytic converter would work best for your vehicle, and go with those parts.