Q: engine wont restart when hot, no spark P0340 has 12v on both connectors, freq from 5-11hz when cranking

asked by on November 01, 2016

1999 pathfinder 130000 miles starts fine when its cooled down, can drive for hours with no problem as long as it not turned off. When trying to restart when hot, it cranks,but has no spark. If I keep cranking I get error P0340 and knock sensor. Knock is from un burned gas from trying to start when hot. I Have 12 volts on 2 wire connector and 12v on 6 wire connector to distributor. On circuit 1 signal from pcm it varies from 5hz to 11hz, 2nd wire from left has good ground as is the other ground, The distributor has been replaced because the original had rusted, at first thought it was bad new distributor so bought another but has the same problem. I took it to a shop, they said it was the timing, then said the harmonic balancer slipped and adjusted timing the best they could. right out of the shop had the same problem, wont start when hot, I have taken apart all wire connectors and cleaned with contact cleaner, makes no difference, any ideas?

Since the crank position sensor gets its timing signal off the damper, I would first replace the damper to be sure timing was correct. The fact that this failure occurs after a "heat soak" cycle, and the P0340 code is a cam position sensor error, I would be suspicious of both the crank and cam position sensors. If the crank position sensor is dead, and the ECM is defaulting to the cam position sensor, problems with incorrect timing will be more acute. I would recommend having a car is not starting service completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.