Q: While driving in town, heard thump and then squeaking

After leaving a highway and coming to a stop sign, I made a right-hand turn. After beginning to drive, I heard a thump sound. As I continued to drive, a squeaking noise started; I pulled over to take a look. I looked under, around, all over but did not see anything. I was about one mile from my house, so I slowly drove to there. After getting home, I opened the hood and still did not see anything. Later I drove to the mechanic’s shop which was just right around the corner. He explained to me that I had a spring coil failure. Would you please give me your diagnosis before I proceed with any repairs.

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Mercedes Benz E300. Check to see if you see any tilting of the vehicle to one side. You may also notice an abnormal amount of bouncing when driving the car. These are all signs of a broken coil spring. There is generally no way to repair a broken coil spring due to the amount of force they absorb. This is something will need to be replaced by a professional mechanic. If you need help with this, a qualified expert from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the noise and assist with repair.