Q: Stuck in 4*4 low

Im coming to u I need serious advice I have a 98 GMC sierra k1500 first the transmission that was in it when I got it blew the 3-4 clutch out for starters so I went n got a new tranny put it in wanted to test 4*4 to make sure it worked well it did but didn't bc now its stuck in 4 low so I was told the transfer case motor the transfer case so I changed both of those then it still wouldn't work so was told the transfer case control module so changed it still nothing and it blew the 3-4 clutch in this transmission as well it sounds like its trying to change but all it does is clunk around but won't ever change any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

The transfer case uses an encoder that is mounted on the transfer case that senses what range the transfer case is in. The encoder gives the transfer case module feedback when it switches the transfer case motor to to different ranges. The shift motor moves the shift fork inside the transfer case to give you the ranges from low to high or 2WD and 4WD.

You most likely broke the 3-4 clutch inside the transmission again from driving in low range. I would suggest pulling out the shift motor and trying to manually shift the transfer case to high range 2WD to see if the transfer case is operational and can shift internally to another range. This will help narrow down the problem to an internal or external shifting problem with the transfer case.

I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location and diagnose your transfer case shifting issue before you have the transmission repaired to prevent blowing it out again.