Q: Car makes squeaking noise while driving.

Car makes a squeaking noise when starting. While it started as a small squeak, it has grown louder over time, especially when first starting and occasionally while driving.

Hello and thanks for the question, it sounds like you are describing a problem with your accessory drive belt. Your engine uses one belt to run all of its accessories such as water pump, air conditioner, alternator. This belt over time can harden and start to crack. And when this happens it will squeal upon start up and upon acceleration. The procedure here, once the belt is confirmed to be the cause, would be to remove the belt and carefully inspect all the tension and guide pulleys and there bearings. If you are hearing this get it checked out by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr